Many People don't know what Jiu Jitsu is. To the untrained eye, it looks like wrestling, but there are so many great reason every child should be involved in training this amazing sport. Here are 5!
1. Focus and Discipline-So many kids today have trouble focusing and being disciplined. There are so many outside things that are always distracting us. But just like muscles in our body that need to be trained to become strong, we need to train ourselves to be more focused and more disciplined. Jiu Jitsu is a super fun sport, but the techniques are very detailed oriented and can be complicated to learn and execute. It typically takes learning the same techniques many times before you start to understand and retain it. Kids have to pay attention to be successful. This helps them to build their discipline and focus and will translate into other areas of their lives. You will see your child start to produce better grades, have better relationships and overall a better quality of life.
2. Socialization-Many kids are shy and have a hard time interacting with kids at school. Some kids need to have a set of friends outside of school that they are able to bond with. Jiu Jitsu helps shy kids or just kids in general make new friends that they share a common interest with. Jiu Jitsu helps you work on your communication skills as well and we all know good communication skills are invaluable to have in life.
3. Coordination and Body Awareness-Jiu Jitsu makes you learn how to move your body in new ways you never have before. In kids it forces them to use many fine motor skills they may never uses. It teaching them balance and overall body awareness that will help them be successful In any physical activity they chose to do later on. It's amazing the coordination skills a 5 year old that has trained Jiu Jitsu for a year has compared to a new student coming in.
4. Fitness-Jiu Jitsu is a full body activity which focuses a lot on core strength. In my opinion it is the most fun activity that will keep you in the best shape while having tons of fun. Kids don't even realize they are exercising!
5. Confidence/Antibully-Sadly Bullying is something that is so prevelant in kids today. But the great news in the #1 deterrent to being the target of a bully is to exhibit a lot of confidence. Jiu Jitsu helps you build confidence because you learn different techniques and practice them in a "live" environment. Classes are structured where you learn a technique and practice with your partner. At the end of class, we have training time where your partner is now not going to let you do the technique. Truly knowing a technique it being able to implement it in this "live" setting. Once you begin to have success in sparring and you see that the techniques you have learned work no matter your size or strength and you gain confidence that is hard to get anywhere else. A more confident child=less problems with bullies!!!